7.25.2011

Knitting

I think I've learned to knit 3 different times in my life. The first time, I was in the 4th grade, and I remember knitting a hot pad and a case for my eyeglasses. Insert picture of the red plastic frames that took up half of my chubby 4th grade face here. I think it was a class I took at school or something, because I don't remember picking up a knitting needle again.

The 2nd time, I was living in Dallas with roommates, and I had watched one roommate, Kristyn, knit cute, cozy scarves, and I thought it looked like fun. She patiently taught me...but my first scarf stopped at about 8 inches long and much wider at the the end than at the beginning. So ended the 2nd try.


A few weeks ago, inspired by my friend Amy, I decided to try again. Here was the goal - cute little toy knit balls that Erin could play with. 
Thanks to Amy's patience, I finally got started. Here was the beginning...I have to be honest, I was a little skeptical that this would turn into a squishie ball.
After several weeks...I finished! The long awaited day was here when I would present the gift to Erin and she would grin with delight, and quickly claim it as her favorite. Here it is! Honestly, I'm not sure she knew what to do with it.
See? She loves it. She's even drooling over it.
See how she follows it wherever it goes...
...and even tried to eat it.
See how angry she got when I told her it was time to put the ball down?
I sent one of these pictures to Adam at work and he joked that I had just put the ball in as a prop for the picture. I neither confirmed nor denied that. We like to laugh because I say that Erin loves her squishie ball more than her other toys, even though I'm well aware that's not the case at this point. But regardless, I loved getting to create something for my daughter. It really is special to me because it's the first thing I have made for her, and I loved doing it. 

I try to not take it when we go places as I tend to leave things behind, and I'd be so sad to lose this little ball. That's why I was VERY surprised to walk out to our car in the apartment garage and saw this:
Yep, that's Erin's very special ball, left overnight in the garage. It's amazing I remember anything.

Even though I didn't lose the first one, I'm still knitting. Fair warning...if you are pregnant or have had a baby recently, your little one may get one as a baby gift. :)

And just as a bonus...a funny mad face, drool and all. We love this sweet girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment