1.15.2012

A Father to the fatherless

The husband is in Africa this week. Uganda, to be exact. He and 27 other folks flew out of Dallas Thursday afternoon, and arrived at their final destination 30+ hours later (I think). He's able to send text messages from there, so I knew that they had arrived, and they were waiting for a large group of Ugandan orphans to show up for their first camp experience. The goal is to show these kids that they are loved...not just by this team but by the God of the universe. These kids have lost one or both parents, and many have been through horrific experiences of being forced into slavery or being a child soldier. (You can read more about their trip here.)


All the time that the team was traveling, I kept praying that they would be able to rest on the flights, for safety, for things to run smoothly...but I kind of expected that they would be exhausted when they got there. I thought it might be a battle for them to be energetic and fun and create this unique experience for these kids to just have relax, have fun and be kids, and build a bridge that they would hear and understand the gospel. 


But then I saw this picture that the team had sent, and was posted on the blog that I linked above. Look at those smiles! There isn't one person who isn't grinning. I mean, they don't even look tired. Awesome. And, look at that handsome, bearded guy in the back, 3rd from the left. Wow. There must be something going on there that is energizing these friends, and I can't help but think that it has something to do with loving those who are very close to the heart of God. 


I really cannot wait to hear about this trip when Adam returns. I sure don't like being away from him but I would never choose for him to miss this opportunity. Through Watermark, folks have an opportunity to sponsor an orphan in Uganda for $35/month. All of the kids at the camp this week are currently being sponsored, and they have recently added more children who need sponsors. We want to do this, and I was going through the list of children who are available. (Go here if you are interested.) I was thinking of Adam, the orphans he is investing in this week, and praying for all of them, and fairly randomly read Psalm 68, wanting to send him some Scripture to encourage him.


As I read, I was amazed to read what God was reminding me of. Psalm 68 says,
"But may the righteous be glad and rejoice before God; 
   may they be happy and joyful.

Sing to God, sing in praise of his name, extol him who rides on the clouds;rejoice before him—his name is the LORD. 
A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, 
   is God in his holy dwelling. 
God sets the lonely in families,
he leads out the prisoners with singing..."


What an incredible reminder that God cares so deeply for the orphan, for the lonely...and that I should, too. I don't know what God is going to do in and through Adam and his teammates this week, or in the lives of these children. But I know that He is already working in me. There's nothing like your husband going thousands of miles away to remind you that you aren't in control, and to bring you to your knees in prayer. And I am reminded that God is the father to the fatherless, that He sets the lonely in families.   

No comments:

Post a Comment