3.08.2011

Rough Places

Happy 3 weeks to our little girl!

I love this picture! Peanut's smile looks a little mischievious, like she knows about a surprise she can't wait to share. Or, she has gas.

We don't see these beautiful eyes open too often these days. She seems to be sleeping, eating and crying most of the time, and so her eyes are closed a lot. But, when she is awake and content, I try to grab my camera to capture some of her funny faces. 

Despite the joy of the last 3+ weeks of having her at home with us, the last few days have been rough for me. I'm not sure why, but she has been especially fussy, and it has made for some long nights for both Adam and me. I wouldn't trade this time for anything, but it has been hard. 

In the past, there are certain things I would do in the midst of challenging situations to get through them. Maybe go on a run, have coffee with a friend, call someone to chat, wake up early for a good, long quiet time, take a nap, or spend some uninterrupted time with Adam and be reminded of what God's word says. 

Having a newborn at home has changed all of that. 

These days, I feel really excited when I have 30 minutes to take a shower. I'm not complaining, but adjusting to this new lifestyle is taking some well, adjustment. And I think I am beginning to feel the effects of that.

At some point this weekend, probably in the middle of the night, I remembered a verse that I love - Isaiah 42:16:

"I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, 
along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; 
I will turn the darkness into light before them
and make the rough places smooth.
These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them."

If there has ever been a time I have felt blind, walking down an unfamiliar path, this is it. I adore my baby, but there have been rough places along the road of caring for her, and going from a family of 2 to a family of 3. And I know that there will be many rough places ahead on this journey of parenting, and marriage for that matter. But what a comfort to know that the Lord who made our little girl and who made me will lead me and guide me, and will not forsake me along the way.

And, how comforting to know that the Lord is the one who will be faithful to lead and guide Peanut as well. Adam and I aren't doing this on our own. I'm certain that she's walking an unfamiliar path as well, and these same words are true for her.

Some of the highlights of Peanut's third week...
Walking around White Rock Lake, snug as a bug
 




















Experiencing the blessedly brief "mustache March." I say why mess up such a good-looking face with a 'stache like that? ;)
 




















...I don't think Peanut minded it.




















She also got to finish meeting her aunts, uncles and cousins this week - my brother and Adam's older brother, sister-in-law and their 1 year old all came in town to visit. It was so fun having them all here. More pictures from that later. 

We love you, sweet girl. You continue to melt our hearts when you do the smallest thing - the way you stretch your arms above your head when we're trying to wake you up, the funny noises you make, the way your eyes get so small when you're crying, the extremely advanced neck muscles that we think you have, and the cute little squeaks you make when you yawn and hiccup. 

We are grateful for you, and wouldn't trade this road for anything, even if it is a little rough at times.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for sharing leigh...i am putting that verse in my phone to read in the middle of the night in about 6 1/2 weeks!!!

    ReplyDelete