11.17.2010

Waiting...

I once remember doing a study of the word 'wait' and how it's used throughout the Bible. I wanted to do this because it seemed like God mentioned it alot, and it was hard for me to do. The thing that stuck out to me the most was that waiting was not a passive process, but an active one, in which I was a participant. To wait required strength, endurance, and patience...all things I have to depend on the Lord for. 

This morning I am waiting to hear results from my dad's doctor about whether or not the chemo he has been undergoing is working. We have been waiting for this day for several weeks, and now it is here. I have found myself turning to anxiety or fear of what is ahead for my dad in this journey with cancer. 

I read Psalm 33 this morning, in somewhat of a desperate attempt to input God's word into my mind. It's easy for me to get distracted, and so I'm much more inclined to busy myself with things at work, at home, or anything else to get my mind off of the waiting. But as I chose to read through Psalm 33 randomly this morning, I was blown away by the reminders the Lord has for me today.

It talks of God's power in creating the earth, His love that is unfailing and fills the earth, His word that is always right and true, His faithfulness, His plans that cannot be thwarted, and the hope we have when we trust in Him.

Psalm 33:16-17 says, "No king is saved by the size of his army; no warrior escapes by his great strength. A horse is a vain hope for deliverance; despite all its great strength it cannot save."

I am so grateful for the medical care my father is receiving right now, and I know that 50 years ago, he would not have survived this diagnosis, apart from a miracle of the Lord. But this verse reminds me that the Lord is in control, even of all the medical treatment he's receiving, and therefore He's in control of the results too. Only the Lord can bear the weight of my hope. 

So, whatever the news we receive today, I know that it is sovereignly planned by the Lord, and I can trust Him. I will continue to ask Him for the strength to wait on Him...and I will spend my morning going to the grocery store and cleaning the apartment, and wait to hear these results I am so eager to hear.

Psalm 33:20-22
"We wait in hope for the LORD;
   he is our help and our shield.
In him our hearts rejoice,
   for we trust in his holy name. 
May your unfailing love be with us, LORD,
   even as we put our hope in you."

No comments:

Post a Comment