11.10.2010

A perfit birfday...














Well...I wanted to write a birthday post for my dad and I just decided that a month late is better than never. My dad turned 66 in October, and we loved getting to celebrate him. No, I didn't misspell the name of this post -- my dad has two words that he says a little different than everyone else, and I love it. One is birthday, which he pronounces "birfday." The other is perfect, which he pronounces "perfit." Just 2 of his little idiosyncracies that make him unique...and endear him to me even more.

He's been a dad for 31+ years, and he's been my dad for almost 30. I am so thankful that God chose him to be my father. He has modeled integrity, discipline, and generosity for me. The times when I have listened to his wisdom have always served to bless me. The times when I have chosen not to listen have not always gone as well. 

My dad is going through a difficult time right now, and I am filled with fear and sadness as I think about the future. At the end of August he was diagnosed with a rare kind of lymphoma, and he's been enduring chemotherapy since then. Again, I see his integrity as he continues to run his business in an honorable way, though he is not able to do the same amount of work. I see his discipline as he and my mom get up at 5am every day to go on daily walks, because the doctors told him that exercise would help his body fight the cancer. And I see his generosity as he continues to rejoice with Adam and me about his first grandbaby, and our preparations for her arrival.


On his birthday, Adam and I got to go over to my parents' house and cook dinner for them. We loved getting to share a meal with them, one of his favorites, and then open presents. My mom continues to amaze me. I think God knew she would be the best wife for my dad as I have watched her care for him over the last 2 1/2 months. One of my favorite things about my mom is the way she makes people feel special by the gifts she gives and the way she wraps them. They are so cute and creative - she's been known to write a note and tape it to a six pack of diet coke, just to throw you off. I always look forward to seeing the gifts she brings. Dad's birthday was no exception, and I loved getting to see him open her gift to him. The only thing that would have made the celebration "perfit" was if Dr. Brother could have been there to join us. But we'll see him this weekend! Can't wait!

Mom and Dad...they will celebrate 40 years of marriage this Sunday!

So, happy birthday, Dad!! Here's to many more. I thank the Lord for giving me the great gift of you as my dad. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment